Thinking that mothering is natural and therefore should come naturally, many mothers forget that it is not natural to be a mother in isolation.
• Acorn Treasures Sarah Napier Bailey. Babywearing and cloth diapering supplies and more (256) 886-8381
• Connections Breastfeeding Lactation consultants, Elizabeth Dunaway and Stacey Ramirez offer lactation support and a local Milk Bank Depot for the Mother’s Milk Bank which is located in Birmingham.
• Huntsville Breastfeeding Support online group for breastfeeding questions
• A Nurturing Moment Lactation consultants, breast pump sales and rentals, breastfeeding classes, Milk Bank Depot for the Mother’s Milk Bank, and more.
• North Alabama Cloth Diaper Bank Cloth diaper classes, diaper swap and a diaper loan program for families in need.
• Suds Diaper Service Weekly cloth diaper service in Huntsville.
LOCAL SHOPS AND RESOURCES
• Acorn Treasures Sarah Napier Bailey. Babywearing and cloth diapering supplies and classes; developmental toys, childbirth breastfeeding, and placenta encapsulation classes, Small shop packed full of treasures.
• Mothering Herbs Summer McCreless. Organic, herbal health products made by Summer, including pregnancy and breastfeeding blends. She also leads classes, workshops and blessingway ceremonies.
• A Nurturing Moment Glenni Lorick. Maternity, postpartum, breastfeeding and cloth diapering supplies; parenting classes and groups; and parenting support. A tremendous resource for new moms.
• Posh Mommy and Baby Too! Lisa Vannoy. Maternity, breastfeeding and baby supplies, furniture, and children’s clothing. Medela dealer.
LOCAL WEBSITES AND FACEBOOK GROUPS
Huntsville Postpartum Support Network Facebook group and monthly meetings
International Cesarean Awareness Network—ICAN of HuntsvilleThe best source of maternity care information for Huntsville and Madison
Rocket City Mom maintains a HUGE list of various mom groups. Check her website to find groups that fit your needs.
GROUPS FOR PARENTS OF SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN
Alabama Lifespan Respite Local group for caregivers
Bringing Up Down Syndrome National group providing support for families dealing with Down syndrome
Graham’s Foundation National group. Provides NICU care packages, preemie parent mentors, literature, support.
Making Connections State group for families affected by autism
OBPI in Alabama (Obstetric Brachial Plexus Injury) State Facebook group sharing info on local and national OBPI resources
United Cerebal Palsy of Huntsville Local group providing a range of services and resources to parents and their special needs children.